Thursday, June 4, 2009

Iziko lo Lwazi

I had the honor of visiting Iziko lo Lwazi a week ago to prepare for the Northeastern Project with Peter and Johan.
Iziko lo Lwazi is a non-profit organization that helps women from the nearby informal settlement Imizamo Yetho earn money while learning. It started as an adult literacy program that offered free English lessons but has now grown into a business that helps empower women.

The company decided to help the women earn money through paper making. They have now expanded into cards, beadwork, and other gifts.
Johan and I had the privilege of watching paper being made (a beautiful shade of pink) and received a cool explanation about different materials that can be used in the process.


Did you know that paper can be made out of rooibos tea, seaweed, or dung from horses, camels, or elephants? Neither did I. Each material gives the paper a different look and feel. It can also be dyed any colour under the sun and would go beautifully in any scrapbook or journal.

We then were shown where the women do the beadwork. I'm not that crafty with my hands, and I was amazed at what all the women can make. We saw a coin purse, key chains, and pins being made among other things.

Then we moved on to the trailer where English classes are taught. Training is also given to the women about business skills, product development, and marketing.

We finally ended up in the store. I couldn't resist myself and bought the most beautiful beaded necklace that I'm saving for a special occasion. I also bought some cards with wired animals on them. Later that day when I showed them to my friends, they begged me to go back and buy some for them.
Eventually, Iziko lo Lwazi would like for the 12-16 women that work there to take over the running of the business. I left with a sense of hope and excitement for the company. You can't help but feel it when you're there.

If you're interested in assisting the business financially or through funding, or if you just want to buy some of their amazing products, you can e-mail them at izikoll@gmail.com. You can also visit their website at http://www.izikoll.co.za/ or call administrator Fezeka Dyani at 021 790 2273 or 084 580 8684.

No comments:

Post a Comment